BSAS and up to Tucumán

late start but I had to be at the BaB at 11:30 so I left the house
and picked a remise, unfortunately the driver didnt know where this
place was, and I didnt remember completely. So we where searching and
I had the fear that we will be very late but we made it in time. The
couple Cecile (a french) and Adrian and I worked for an hour and then
we had to stop as Adrian had to work. Was very effective and very
good results.

return we ate a bit of the meat from yesterday had a beer infront of
his house and around 6pm Susan came to pic me up. We went with the
bus to the terminal in retiro and got on the bus to tucumán 16hrs,
wow. On the bus we had films and food and wine.


arrove 10:30 in Tucumán and went to the information desk to get an
afternoon excursion but there was none due to mothersday ok so we
went to the hostel La Gurda, checked in into a dorm (very very nice
hostel) and walked some blocks to a peña und heared live music for
an hour. Then we went to another one but there everything was already
over … well so back to the city booked sound and light show tickets
for 9 pm in the casa de independencia. Tucumán was where the
independenia was signed. We booked an excursion to Cafayate via Taffi
del Valle for the next day and then went to see the sound and light.
Well it was not like at the pyramides or in luxor, but quite nicely
done. Afterwards we watched a bit the milonga directly aside of the
casa and went to the hostel

Cafayate – Salta

picked us up from the hostel at 7.30 and we drove via Taffi del valle
to Cafayate. At the beginning it was all green like mountain djungle
and then suddenly became very arid as we passed the first peaks in
3000 m. We visited the small town of Taffi which is really nice but
not much to do. We had there great Empanadas. We continued and we
could decide between Quilmes and Museo Pachamama, so we did for
Pachamama. A really nicely done museum. After an hour we continued to
cafayate (btw we have now 35 degrees). Cafayate is a small city but
well known for the wineries here. Vino Blanco, the grape is called
Torrotes. But they have also Malbec and Cabernet. We had a lunch
where we shared the menue cazuela de cordero empanadas and icecream,
rico …. Sergio told us he would us bring directly to salta for 600
more each. We thought shortly and decided yes thats cool.

we went to Salta, we visited a winery where they offered a white and
a redwine. Quite good but I do not remember more. We passed quebrada
de la concha with incredible Rock Formations, then Alemania and
around 7pm we had been in Salta ‘La Linda’. I selected the hostel
from the lonely planet ‘Salta por Siempre’ and checked into a dorm
for 140 ARG. The hostel was nice. I got a messsage from Caro that
they are also in Salta, so we agreed to meet around 10pm at the

was a big hello and we sat together drank and made our plans. We
agreed that i rent a car and that they will join for one day and then
carry on through bolivia. So I checked for rentacar and had one for
700 ARG with 300 km per day. I asked the receptionist and she got me
one for 550, so I took that. It will be handed over at 2pm the next

MaaM, Yungas and Purmamarca

met with Edu and Caro in the town and went to the MaaM – Museo
andina alta Montaña or s.th. Similar, where they exhibit one of the
childs found on the vulcan. I knew that already but I liked to see it
again … foreigners 70 ARG locals 50 ARG.

car was handed over at the hotel and Caro and Edu came to the hotel.
We left around 3:30 and headed through the yungas to Purmamarca. The
yungas there are really nice and worthwile traveling slowlier than we
did. Then we went up direction Purmamarca and stopped in a small city
where Caro said there is a Galpón (stable). There the handmade
ponchos where around 850-900 ARG and I thought about to buy one, but
as my backpack is already really full I didnt.

arrove around 8pm at Purmamarca and we checked for hostels or hotels,
but everything was quite expensive. Susan and Edu went of and
negotiated a very good hotel price 500 for each doubleroom. We had
the rooms on the 2nd floor with a terasse and a direct
view to the 7 colors wow. Edu got a key and Caro, as they thought
blancos with blancos and marrones with marrones. So we enjoyed a
bottle of redwine with that view. Later we went to a restaurant with
live music and ate Lama. Hmm very hard so not my next choice anymore.
But the lama was nicely presented especially the one plate caro had

feixte all night long as I had a double with Susan about having sex
with her, well …..

– Purmamarca – Humahuaco – Villazon (Bolivia)

had a relatively late start with a brillant view to the 7 colours,
then breakfast with orange juice freshly made. We went to the market
and were surprised as the ponchos where even cheaper and nicely made
(450 ARG – 45 Euro normal and 30 blue Euro). Also there was a nice
knife for 1200. hmm need to check tomorrow, probably i will buy me a
poncho and a knife.

10:30 we made us on our way to Tilcara, Humamaca did a stop there to
see the San Franzisco leaving his hut … I guess it kitschig but
well a lot of tourists were waiting. After that Caro invited us to
Empanadas which were really great and fruit salat even better. We
went up to the statue and made photos of us aside of the giant
Cardones – Candelaber Cactus. Then carried on to the altiplano on
3400-3700m height and ended finally on the border to bolivia. We
crossed the border by feet and left the car in the parking nearby.

In Villazon there are a lot of Cambios and that was what I
was searching for. So I went to an ATM took out 6000 bolivianos and
changed it into USD so this problem is solved ;o). Edu and Caro
checked for a connection deeper into bolivia and finally we had a
goodbye beer together, actually 2 ;o) for every feet one, the middle
feet didnt count as we didnt have enough time.

started our return at 6 and had been in Purmamarca around 8:30 pm. A
long day and I was quite exhausted. We strolled a bit through the
pueblo and went into another restaurant for food, also with life

Salinas Grandes – San Antonio de los Cobres – Salta

shopping resulted in nothing. The guy with the knife was not there so
I could not negotiate to 1000ARG and I had no sense for carrying the
poncho all around but it was really nice ;o(. Grabbed my laundry and
we left Purmamarca. At the townborder I was stopped by the police and
thought they stopped me because I have honked the horn as a bus didnt
move and blocked the whole street, but no they were hitchhiking ;o)
but I was going to the wrong city.

had to pass a paso on 4000 m and the landscape was just incredible.
The salinas didnt touch me to much. I think that had to do with Uyuni
as Uyuni is much bigger. We than went on a gravel road 120km to San
antonio de los cobres with a landscape which was espectacular.

San Antonio there is the dog burried, not much to do, so we decided
not to stay there but just have a soup and continue direction Salta.
The road from San Antonio back to Salta is one of the highlight
landscapes here, wow wow wow.

were stopped again by the police because there was a teacher waiting
to be taken to Salta so we took her with us. Our plan was to stay the
night outside of salta to be able to go up to Cachi, but as Cachi had
been 160 km we decided different as it would have been a too long
drive as we had to drop the car at 2pm the next day.

returned around 9pm checked into our hostel. Susan wanted a double so
we used a double and not a dorm and went thereafter to the city to
have some empenadas and beer (beer at least for me ;o)).

Oktober Salta

breakfast we went to the quebrada of San Lorenzo. San Lorenzo is a
nice, clean town. There must live a lot of wealthy people according
to the houses. The quebrada is nothing very special but nice to walk
a bit. We returned to the city where I dropped of the car and Susan
wanted to by some sweets and her bus ticket for the next day.

I found a barber so I could finally get my shave. Did a good job for
150 ARG got my head and my face shaved ;o) I was so happy to get my
wool off.

night we went to the Casona de los Molinos to enjoy live music and we
stayed there from 9 to 3am and I was good conditioned ;o).

moring we went to town, she did a bit shopping and I checked also for
the bus to Tucumán and got a busticket on the same bus as Susan (290
ARS). We went to the ITAU museum and as we passed the museum I saw
that they do swan lake tonite, shoot and I have bought my busticket
already and the shop was closed for siesta. Well, I decided to try
then in teh busterminal whether I can change the ticket to sunday. We
had still some time so I went back to the shop where they sold knifes
and I liked two of them one with leather handle for 790 ARG and one
with horn handle and a nice ‘Scheide’ for 2000 ARG. If they would
have given me 20% I would have bought both but they offered me only
10% so I didnt by them.

the bus terminal I could change the ticket with a change fee so I
said good bye to Susan and went back to the hostel. The show was free
at 21 pm and the entrance was on first come first serve basis. So I
decided to be there aroun 7 pm and if there is noone i would have a
beer first. Well, there was one, a queue of around 100m, so I stayed
in line learning spanish vocab.

got a very good seat and it was the first time to see swanlake in
life and it was spectacular. I draw the correct decision loved it.
Had some wine in the hostal and then went to bed.

the day to leave ‘La Linda’. Easy morning, left the hostel at 12 and
at the terminal I saw a whatsapp of Caro telling they are in Salta
again because it was so shitty in bolivia. She sent an SMS on my
argentinian phone but I do not have it online all the time. What a
pity. They where yesterday again in the casona. Menno I could have
been there at least one hour and also stay a day longer ;o((

now I am on my way to Tucumán. Probably we meet in stgo del estero
or in corrientes.